ALL PAKISTAN PAPER MERCHANTS ASSOCIATION (APPMA)
The APPMA is made up of businesses, small and large, includes importers, distributor, stockiest, supplier, wholesaler, retailer, broker and indenters of Paper and Paper Board. The members work collectively to accomplish that which none could undertake alone. The present APPMA was formed in 1993 through the amalgamation of THREE trade bodies in Pakistan at that time, namely, the KARACHI PAPER MERCHANTS ASSOCIATION (KPMA), LAHORE PAPER MERCHANTS ASSOCIATION (LPMA) AND RAWALPINDI PAPER MERCHANTS ASSOCIAION (RPMA). It was LICENCED under the Trade Organizations Ordinance 1961 on 20th October 1993 and incorporated under section 32 of the Companies Ordinance, 1984 which regulates the working of the Trade Bodies in the country. It incorporated under section 32 of the Companies Ordinance, 1984 by joint Registrar of the Companies, Government of Pakistan on 20th November 1993.
The promulgation of Trade Organization Ordinance 2007, APPMA is the only Association of the Paper Business sector who has been granted license under new Ordinance and has the privilege to be the only recognized Trade Body in Pakistan on Paper Trade, Printing, publishing and packaging industries. The new license is granted by Director General Trade Organization on 1st November 2008, vide license no. 109. The DGTO, renewed its license up to 31.10.2014 and further renewed up to 31-10-2019.
The APPMA is affiliated with the Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce & Industry. It has two classes of membership, namely, Associates and Corporate. Details can be had from the Membership list of the APPMA. This Association has currently around 1800 direct members both importers and traders all over Pakistan.
The Association has two Zonal Offices, one at Karachi for Southern Zone (i.e. Provinces of Sindh and Balochistan) and another at Lahore for Northern Zone (i.e. Provinces of Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Federally administered Areas. The Association can open Regional offices in any Municipal Limit where 30 or more valid members for last two consecutive years are available.
The organization’s policies and programs are deter-mined by the Central Executive Committee which are elected by the members, out of which 1/2 retire every year and in their place, new members are inducted through election. The Executive Committee every year elects Chairman, Senior Vice Chairman and Vice-Chairman, one from each zone.
The Zonal offices dealt with the Provincial and Municipal matters, administered by the President, nominated by the Central Executive Committee. The President form its own cabinet to run the zonal matters.
Programs are carried out by Standing Committees. The Executive Committee every year nominates the Chairman and Vice Chairman of Standing Committees on various subjects, relating to trade and other allied matters. The Standing Committees formulates their recommendations for the consideration and approval of the Executive Committee. The major Standing Committees are: Sales Tax, Budget and Taxation, Customs and Valuation, Local Trade and Banking and Dry Ports.
REPRESENTATION IN DIFFERENT GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS
This premier trade body has been given due representation in every important Advisory meetings held, time to time, in Customs, Income Tax, Sales Tax departments, Ministries of Commerce, Finance, Interior and others trade related Ministries and Government Departments etc. Those who are nominated by the APPMA on these meetings are senior and prominent businessmen of trade with long experience and deep insight in specific fields.
While the APPMA participation in various Departments meetings keeps it posted with up-to-date information on various government policies and measures, the APPMA also utilizes these forums to influence the policies and perception of the Government through personal discussion as well as through submission of representations/memorandum and studies. For example, comprehensive memoranda, giving considered recommendations and policy-proposals are submitted to the federal government well in advance before the announcement of the Federal Budget. The Provincial Government and local authorities concerned are also time to time approached and provided with necessary memoranda/representations. They are followed-up with personal meetings and discussions, it is against such an exercise and experience that problems both of individual or collective nature, whether they are concerned to trade, imports, retail or taxation or shipping or telephones, electricity are dealt with and pursued till such problems are resolved. In fact the APPMA acts as a catalyst and work as a bridge between the government and the members of the business community.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aim of the Association, which is non-political, is to unite the members in their common approach and for this purpose the objects of the Association are:
- To endeavor to improve the working conditions and facilitate effective input for achievement of objects for which the Association have been established.
- To encourage unity, mutual understanding and high ethical standard amongst its members.
- To take such steps as the Association considers desirable towards the promotion of the interest of Paper trade and allied services in Pakistan or outside Pakistan, specifically related to paper trade.
- To place before Government and other public and official bodies the views of Members on matters affecting the interests of paper trade and services in specified field of activities.
- To attempt to adopt unified approach in matters of policy on all matters affecting the interest of paper merchants and services in Pakistan.
- To acquire immovable properties by purchase, lease, hire, exchange or otherwise and to demolish, erect, alter, and / or maintain the same for the benefit of the Association.
- To manage the movable and immovable properties of the Association.
- To seek representations on various bodies dealing with issues of common interests of members.
- To do such other things as are necessary in the general interest of its Members including holding or participation in exhibitions within or outside the Country.
- To urge, support or oppose legislative or other measures and procure change of law or Practice affecting the interest of Commerce, Industry and services or adversely affecting the common interests of business community.
- To secure adequate representation of the Association on Government, public or statutory bodies and on trade and business delegations.
- To accept any bequest, gift, donation or subscription towards or to accumulate and Fund or Endowment or Waqf or sponsorships for events and to invest the same and apply the income arising therefrom or to resort to the capital thereof for any objects of the Association and to hold events from such accumulated funds towards achieving the objects of the Association.
- To resolve controversies and conciliate differences of opinion among members of the Association.
- To promote education, awareness amongst the Members by holding Seminars, conducting educational causes, inviting experts to deliver lectures and workshops.
- To seek affiliation with the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry,
- To accept deposits of money or goods for any objects of the Association as may be deemed fit.
- To subscribe to and become and continue to remain member of Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry, and to procure from and communicate to any organization of Trade and Industry in Pakistan or abroad such information as maybe conducive to the attainment of the objects of the Association.
- To subscribe to any local or other charity and to grant any donations for any public purposes and to provide provident or superannuation fund or funds for the servants of the Association or otherwise to assist any such servants, their widows and children.
- To communicate with Federal and Provincial Governments, Chambers of Commerce and Industry or trade bodies or other commercial and public bodies and to concert and promote measures for the protection of the aforesaid interests.
- To file, prosecute, defend or contest, join or aid in filing, prosecuting and defending any such actions, suits, applications, appeals or other proceedings as the Association may think proper o-r which may be conducive to the attainment of the objects of the Association.
- To pay all costs, charges and expenses, preliminary and incidental to the promotion, formation, establishment or registration of the Association and the conduct of the affairs thereof.
- To collect, circulate and disseminate statistics and other information relating to Commerce, Industry, Trade or Services.
- To enter into any arrangement with any Government Federal or Provincial or Authority, Municipal, local or otherwise that may seem conducive to the objects of the Association or any of them and to obtain from any such Government or Authority rights, concessions, privileges which the Association may think fit to obtain and to carry out any such arrangement, rights, privileges and concessions.
- To sign, seal, execute and deliver all instruments, deeds, documents and writing whatsoever that may be found to be necessary or expedient in realization of the objects of the Association or conduct of its affairs.
- To frame from time to time, such rules and laws as the Association may deem fit or proper for all or any of the objects, and to comply with all the requirements of the Trade Organizations Act 2013
- And generally to do alt acts, deeds, and things which may be incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of the objects stated herein above.
- To protect and promote the trade and to secure cooperation among Members in general and those dealing in these lines in particular.
- To establish just and equitable principles in trade and commerce.
- To form a code or codes or practices to simplify and facilitate transaction of business:
- To undertake special inquiries and action for securing redressal of legitimate grievances of the members of the Association.
- To establish and maintain Information Bureau, to print and publish journals, periodicals newspapers, books, pamphlets, leaflets, directories etc., and to establish and maintain library and reading rooms for the promotion of the objects of the Association
- To arranges and convenes conferences, lectures, shows, meetings on the subject affecting interest of the members of the Association.
- To affiliate with any national or international trade organizations having objects altogether or in part similar to those of this Association for the purpose of securing the aims and objects of this Association.
- To aid in subscribing money to any charitable or benevolent purposes or for the promotion generally of any matters of charity or other useful objects with a view to establish harmony and business relationship amongst various mercantile communities in general and Pakistan community in particular.
- To take such steps by personal or written appeals public meetings or otherwise as may from time to time be deemed expedient for the purpose of procuring contributions to the funds of the Association in the shape of donations, annual subscription or otherwise.
- To provide for help and encourage study and training in technical and commercial matters by granting scholarships, awarding prize-stipends or giving other monetary aids to institutions through such other ways and means as may be determined from time to time.
- Torun sections or departments including those relating to exports, imports, statistics, publicity and publications as may be determined from time to time.
- To arrange international Exhibitions in Pakistan or abroad or to participate in International Exhibitions or Forum in accordance with the aims and objectives of the Association.
- To canvass, publicize, propagate and take all steps in the interest of the Association and for protection of the interests of the members and to consider, recommend and support all actions directed towards improvement in the conditions of the trade.
- To enter into any arrangements with Government and public authorities Municipal, Port, Railways, local or otherwise which may foster and consolidate the objectives of the Association or any of them whether individually or collectively for advancement of the interests of the trade.
To lend, advance or borrow or raise monies or secure the payment of such monies in such manner as the Association may think fit and in particular manner by creation and issue of debenture or debenture stocks, perpetual or otherwise, charged upon all or any of the properties of the Association, present or future and to purchase redeem or Pay such security or securities. AND it is hereby declared that the objects set forth in any sub clauses of this clause shall not, except, where the expressly so requires be in any way limited or restricted by reference to or inference from terms of any other sub-clauses or by the name of the Association.